We’re pleased to announce that the Friends of Chamber Music’s 63rd Annual Young Musicians competition is under way!
Last year’s competition featured $5000 in prizes and was graciously supported by the Koerner family and friends for the Fred Koerner Prize; Peter Lang; Olga P. Bismanis; and the Buddhist Compassion Relief Tzu Chi Foundation Canada. The Audience Prize was generously donated by one of the society’s directors, Malcolm Hayes. $500 was awarded to both one junior group and one senior group, decided by the audience’s votes by submitting their ballots. See videos of last year’s winners here.
Now it’s your year to shine! Teachers, prepare your students: the Junior category is open to players up to age 18, and the Senior category for players up to age 26. Applications are due Monday, February 6, 2017. All applicants MUST be available for ALL audition dates; please double check your calendars before submitting.
Entry rules and requirements are as follows:
- Competition ensembles must have three or more performers.
- Instruments may be strings, winds, brass or piano in any combination.
- Selections are to be from the classical instrumental music repertoire.
- Playing time will be limited to approximately 10 minutes, both at the preliminary auditions and the concert.
- Competitors may not participate in more than two groups.
- Preliminary auditions will be held in Vancouver on Saturday, February 25, 2017 for the Senior Division; Sunday, February 26, 2017 for the Junior Division. For ensembles from outside the Lower Mainland, DVDs or data files playable on Windows Media Player may be considered for the auditions.
- Entry forms must be completed and received by Monday, February 6, 2017.
- The competition concert is held on Sunday, March 12, 2017 at 3:00 pm, at Koerner Recital Hall of the Vancouver Academy of Music.
Apply Now! For inquiries, please call Karen Shuster at 604-732-9565.
Good luck to everyone! We can’t wait to see the fresh wave of Young Musicians ready to make their mark in chamber music.